Sunday, January 09, 2011

Luna's life in St. Thomas

This is an excerpt of a reply to an email Luna sent to her friend, Zoe, who lives in Austin. Luna said we could share it with everyone:


... Sol's good. He likes trucks, he is being a butt. I have been going to the beach, going on play dates with my friends, doing work, and playing at home. I am not bored of the beach. I love it, it's really really fun. I have lots of friends. My friend's names are Emily - she is my best friend in St. Thomas. My other friends' names are Tom, Kate, Eve, Ericson, Abram, Sophie, Helen and Jessica. ...
There's this place in St. Thomas called Coral World. It has a bunch of sea animals, and they do presentations. You can feed and pet the stingrays, and they won't sting. They're very, very soft, like velvet. They have sea lions that paint! You can swim with the sea lions. They have small sharks that you can feed. They're babies. You can pet them. They feel like sandpaper. They should be called sandpaper sharks. You can feed nectar to the birds. They're lorikeets. They look like parrots. Coral World has lots and lots of fish. If you come here, I will take you there, because I think you will really like it. There's iguanas everywhere!

The beach has really soft sand. There's one beach called Sapphire Beach, and it has huge waves. I took Allan there. The water is very, very warm, usually. It's turquoise.

When you're driving, it feels like you're on a Disney World beach, because of all the birds tweeting and the winds blowing and the water spraying and the boats tooting their horns.

I have my own huge room and my bed is really tall, because Steven built me a bed frame out of wood. Under my bed I put a quilt and a pillow and some books and a lamp. You  could sleep under there. There are no monsters there. It's a good hiding place.

I discovered a new fruit called star fruit. It's now my favorite fruit. It tastes like apples mixed with sugar. I miss acai and nada moo ice cream, but nobody can send me some, because it's frozen. And there was none in Atlanta where we just went, because my great-grandmother died.

We have a roommate. Her name is Jennilee.

I just went to the porch to get ideas about what to write. It's always warm in St. Thomas. By the way, would you tell Paulo I said hi and to send me some TechDeck skateboards.

I got a new bike. I ride it around the house. I have a special bike route. It goes around our living room, under the stairs, back into the living room, again and again and again.

Sadie's doing good and so is Coco. Coco misses you.

I'm still homeschooling. I'm doing a project on Nellie Bly. She was a famous reporter. She went around the world in 8 1/2 days.

Miss you a lot.

Love, 

Luna

No comments: